Pages

Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Molly Cannon

Tell Me Your Story Tuesday

WELCOME

MOLLY CANNON

 I am so excited to finally have Molly with us. I have been pestering her to come play for a while. Today, she is talking  about her debut release Ain't Misbehaving, the oddest job she ever had and ballroom dancing! 

Let's get to know Molly!

  Tell us about Ain't Misbehaving. Love the cute dog on the cover. Does he make an appearance in the book? 

  Sometimes even good girls need to be a little bad...

Marla Jean Bandy might be down, but she's not out. Even though her no-good ex-husband left her for another woman - a Bookmobile-driving librarian twenty years her senior - Marla Jean won't settle for another lonely night. She's not ready for Mr. Right, but why not have a little fun with Mr. Right Now? The only wrench in her plan is her childhood crush. Jake- and the memory of the one toe-curling kiss they shared on a hot summer night years ago. 

I’m so excited Marla Jean and Jake’s story will be released June 26, 2012. I can’t wait. The first chapter is available as a free read on my website. As for the little dog Sadie, she plays a very important part in the book. Marla Jean and Jake find her abandoned and all alone in a rain storm. They end up sharing custody, and that special bond makes it impossible for them to ignore the way they feel about each other, even if they wanted to. Go, Sadie!

 You are represented by Kim Lionetti, what was it like getting "The Call"? 

Oh, that was so exciting! Kim shopped the book around, but no one had shown any interest yet. One morning she called to say we had an offer, and I was bouncing around, laughing, screaming -- did I cry? I might have cried. Let’s just say I was happy. But it was still out with some other editors, so she needed to let them know we had an offer. Before the day was over we had three offers. I did all that bouncing around, laughing, screaming and crying stuff all over again. I was thrilled to sign with Grand Central Publishing, Forever Romance. It was a long-time dream come true!

Other than writing, you like to take dance lessons. What kind of dancing is your favorite? 

My husband and I started taking ballroom dance classes when our kids started getting married. It was lots of fun, so once we ran out of kids, we decided to take some classes just for the heck of it. My husband is a really good sport, so we’ve taken Swing, Latin, Country and several variations of Ballroom. I enjoy foxtrot, rumba, and the two-step.  But west coast swing is a challenge I’m still trying to conquer! And I want to learn the Viennese waltz so I can twirl in never-ending circles like they do in the movies.
Not Molly and her husband, but I'm sure they look just like this!

What is your writing process like? What is your favorite part of the process? 

I come up with the two main characters in a beginning scene - some situation that intrigues me, and I usually have a vague idea for an ending scene, too. Then various in-between scenes pop into my head, and I write toward those scenes, and the rest of the story fills itself in along the way hopefully in an entertaining manner. I sort of know where I’m going, but not exactly. It’s a lot of pondering ‘what if’, and my favorite part is surprising myself with an idea when I think I’ve written myself into a dead end. 

 What did you do before you were a writer? What made you decide to write? 

This is a record.
I was a stay at home mom, raising three children, though with three active children there wasn’t a lot of ‘stay at home’. But I’ve had a variety of other odd jobs through the years. I’ve been an office manager for different places, and I ran the adult soccer league in my town for a long time. But does anyone remember records? LPs? Albums? I had a job making records. You’ll be relieved to know I didn’t sing on them. Instead I picked up blobs of black plastic and threw it onto a big, stinky, hot machine that pressed it into a finished 33 rpm record. That was probably the oddest job I had, and the one that makes me happiest to be a writer these days.

What's next for you? Do you have a current WIP? 

CRAZY LITTLE THING CALLED LOVE, is book #2 in this series. 
When her grandmother dies, Etta Green returns to Everson, Texas only to find out Donny Joe Ledbetter, a smooth-talking womanizer has inherited part ownership of her grandmother's house. Making her even more suspicious, she discovers Grammy Hazel has agreed, with Donny Joe’s help, to turn the beloved family house into a B&B.  Etta and Donny Joe form a grudging partnership but can't agree on anything.  He's a country boy.  She's a city girl.  He's meat and potatoes.  She's gourmet cuisine.  He's a good old boy who's always gotten by on his lazy charm.  She's no-nonsense, efficient, and completely immune to his masculine appeal.  Or is she? Sparks will fly, so let the fun begin! 
It should be out in July 2013.

If you could have dinner with any famous author, who would it be and what would you want to ask? 
It’s hard to name just one, so I’m choosing three. I’ll stop there, though I have many more!
Lavyrle Spencer doesn’t write anymore but I love, love, love her books. She wrote contemporary and historical romance and never failed to transport me completely. She was something special.
Laura Kinsale – Oh, my! When I read her books I feel like I’ve been taken apart and put back together again. My cells line up differently. I have quotes from her books on my walls. She simply slays me.
Kristan Higgins is my choice for contemporary, light-hearted romance. Her characters are lovable, down-to-earth, and real. I find them endlessly entertaining.  Gosh, I adore her books. I’m never happier than when I’m diving into one of her love stories. She is an absolute must buy for me! 

I don’t know if I’d ask them any questions. How do you explain magic to a mere mortal? I’d just sit and stare – looking at them adoringly. It would probably put them off their feed. Restaurant security would be called. I’d be hauled off in chains. Maybe dinner’s not a good idea…

Where else can we contact you? Facebook, Twitter, Blog, Website?
My website: www.mollycannon.com
Twitter: @Cannonmolly

Thank you so much for visiting with us, Molly! 

Anything else you want to know about Miss Molly? I'm sure she'll be happy to answer!

 


28 comments:

Jerrie Alexander said...

Great post Molly and Dawn. I can't wait for the book to come out. With Molly's sense of humor and big heart, I have no doubt, Ain't Misbehaving will be a winner!

Jen FitzGerald said...

I didn't know that you made records, Molly--after all the years we've known each other. That's pretty cool. And I actually do know what they are, what they look like, how they sound. :) I received a couple as a kid--just before the cassette took off.

Molly Cannon said...

Thank you so much for having me, Dawn! And where did you find that picture of us dancing? And the record! I love it.

Hey, Jerrie - thanks for the sweet words I can't wait for your book to come out, either!

Oh, Jen, I am a woman of mystery, LOL, and I'm glad I could evoke a distant childhood memory for you.

Teri Anne Stanley said...

Molly;
I have had dinner with my abso fave author (Suzanne Brockmann) twice now--how crazy is that? And after I got over my numb tongue, it was wonderful...one thing about meeting awesome writers is that they always have stories to tell...no need for many conversational prompts!
Your book sounds great...heading off to look for it now...

Molly Cannon said...

Teri Anne, that is crazy, and how lucky for you! I love Suzanne Brockmann! I was listening to her talk at the RWA conference in Dallas a few years ago when some kind of alarm went off, and they evacuated the hotel. I never did get to hear her finish the workshop, but the part I heard was very entertaining.

Sidney Bristol said...

Ooooh, that's very cool about making records. I have a degree in audio engineering and they made us leanrn how to record on one. There is no undo button on those suckers!!

Congrats on the book. :D

Molly Cannon said...

Thank you Sidney! I wish I'd been recording them instead of running the machine that pressed them. That would have been more glamourous -- and I'm all about the glamour...cough, cough.

Publius said...

Can't wait for this book to be released ... and the one after that and the one after that and the one after that!

Molly Cannon said...

Thank you, Wendy! That means so much coming from you! If you haven't read Wendy's A La Mode Mysteries you need to do yourself a favor and get them!

Misa said...

Can't wait for Ain't Misbehavin' to hit the streets, Molly!

Marsha said...

Great interview, Dawn and Molly. Can't wait for your book to come out, Molly. This series will be a huge success,because of your wonderful sense of humor--well, and you're a great writer, too, but the sense of humor is super.
Do you watch Dancing With the Stars, Molly? Can you envision you and hubby spinning around under the sparkly lights?

Molly Cannon said...

Thank you, Misa! I'm such a fan of your Lola books!

Ally Broadfield said...

Lovely post, ladies. I've always wanted to learn the Viennese Waltz, but I don't think my husband will be as indulgent as yours. Can't wait to read your book!

Molly Cannon said...

Marsha, We watch DWTS and once in a great while recognize a step we do. Oh-look they did a toss across, but most of it doesn't resemble our dancing at all!

Molly Cannon said...

Thanks, Ally! I'll admit my husband is a very good sport about the whole thing. And I'm sure the Viennese Waltz will make me dizzier than I already am!

Angi Morgan said...

I remember records !!
Tim has a turn-table with a USB port/cable and we're transfering our albums to our digital database. Yes, we realize we could purchase all the music...but that's rather expensive and, well, just not the same.

:-)
SO SO SO excited for your release !
~Angi

Molly Cannon said...

Hi Angi! We still have a turntable, too, and our kids gave us one of those converter thing-a-ma-jigs, but we haven't gotten very far into our collection yet. But it is nice to be able to preserve the oldies but goodies!

Tracy A. Ward said...

What a fun post! I am so looking forward to the release of Ain't Misbehavin. Any plans for future books to revolve around your dance lessons experience?

Molly Cannon said...

Oh, Tracy -- that's a good idea! I'll have to give that some thought for a future book. If they dance like we do that will provide lots of humor.

etidiams said...

I am so excited for your book. I have already pre-ordered 2 copies.

Kym Roberts said...

Great blog Molly! Ain't Misbehavin' is going to be a blast! I just have one question--can you teach my hubby to dance?

Clover Autrey said...

Oh I would love to see you dance. That is so neat. Can't wait for your book to come out. Very excited for you.

Molly Cannon said...

Thanks for the pre-order love, Em! Even if you are my daughter!

Molly Cannon said...

oh, Kym --that's funny! My hubby says I lead too much as it is!

Molly Cannon said...

Hi, Clover! Thanks so much for stopping by! I'm reading Highland Sorcerer right now!! We only dance at weddings and on cruises and at the occasional kids birthday party when the clowns cancel at the last minute.

Dawn Alexander said...

Wow, I have been working all day. Looks like y'all had a ton of fun without me! Thank you to everyone who stopped by to support Molly! She's alot of fun!

Molly Cannon said...

Thanks so much for having me, Dawn. You were right it was lots of fun!

C. A. Szarek said...

As per usual, I am late to the party! Sooooo excited for you Molly! I can't wait to read the book! Hope to see you in a few hours.