Pages

Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Author Feature: Bianca Swan

Tell Me Your Story Tuesday

Welcome 
Bianca Swan!
Bianca lives in Houston, Texas with her Z3 and baby grand piano.  She has been writing all her life and loves to tell stories about hot heroes and the sexy heroines who love them.  Her favorite things:  Her two sons, music, sports cars, symphony, theater, the ocean, mountains, horses and travel.

Her latest release 
Celestial Sin  
is now available from
Wild Rose Press


I have saved the cover pictures for the end of the post. They are HOT!

LET'S GET TO KNOW BIANCA! 

     Do you have a writing routine? 
  I work full time to support my habits, but I try to reserve weekends (or at least one day per weekend) to write.  I wish I could be like those people whose muse shakes them out of bed, and they write furiously for an hour then dash off to the office, but I get into my book and don’t want to go to work! 

 What does it look like? 
 Whatever I can greedily fit in – which means my social life suffers.   

Where do you usually write?  
 My condo is small.  I write facing the corner fireplace.  To the left are sliding glass doors with shades which let in the light.  In the bedroom to my left is the piano in its red palace with hardwood floors.  The rest of the house is marble-tiled.

 Is the life of a writer what you thought it be? 
I haven’t achieved what I thought would be the life of a writer.  I’m still writing and working.  What is different?  I wanted the success of Anne Rice!  Why not dream big?

    Do you have any special time management tricks for working in writing time  and living a normal life?  Unfortunately no.  I’m lucky that my children are on their own now, but the job is still there.  I write when I can and when my muse (and I have to be inspired or I can’t write a parched white word) allows.

 What is the best advice you have received about this journey?   
The same as everyone else.  Perseverance.  My own personal experience would be to advise getting a really thick skin.

 What advice do you wish someone would have given you when you were starting out?   
Writing for me is therapy, an escape into the worlds I build rather than those built on TV.  But in a way, I wish someone had told me to write for myself—not for the public.  I’ve had an agent, won contests, and still I doubt my writing because of the rejections.  I don’t know if this is common amongst writers but suspect it is.  After all, we are spilling our emotions onto the page.
  
     What do you do to fight burnout?  
 I stop writing until I have to write again. 

Do you ever worry about "running out of stories"? 
Oh, yes, constantly.  Then a character walks on stage, whispers in my ear, and bang, I’m doomed to months at the keyboard.  How do combat that?  I wait.

     What kind of scenes do you have a hard time writing?  Action scenes, but I enlist the aid of my son.

      Do you ever write material based on your close relationships, such as a best friend? 
  No, though sometimes I blend my friends together to come up with a character. 

  How do you balance that material with the need to tell an interesting story?  
 I let the characters take on a life of their own.  This sometimes leads me to write pages and pages of material that I will never use. 

     What sources do you use for inspiration? ( Music, movies, people watching) 
The ocean inspires me.  Music is an inspiration.  The Prophecy movies inspired me to write about angels.  I love people watching, especially in airports, but they aren’t an inspiration, more characterization.

     What do you do when you aren’t writing? 
I love to drive.  I compete in rallies.  I go to the symphony, theater and I like to find really good restaurants, especially seafood or good country cooking on which I grew  up, but the latter can add inches to the waistline.

    Tell us a bit about your work in progress.  
 I’m converting a romantic suspense to erotica. 
Cardinal Desires was a semi-finalist in the first Amazon Breakthrough Novel contest and won the Georgia Romance Writers’ Magnolia award.  A vampire and a forensic psychiatrist team up to catch a serial killer.  My editor at The Wild Rose Press asked for something else, and this one was prime for changing.
 
    What is next for you?  
 My fallen angel story Celestial Sin  
released May 20 from The Wild Rose Press, The Wilder Catalog.  For a sneak peak at the trailer, blurb and excerpt, please visit me at Bianca’s blog.

You can also check out her other release:


Thank you for being our guest Bianca!


4 comments:

Teri Anne Stanley said...

Ooohh...nekkid angels. Of course, it is tough to get clothes that go over those wings, I guess!

As someone who also tries to fit writing into the non-real job moments, I am glad to see that it can be done! Now, if I could only get those kids on their own and out the door!

Thanks for sharing your story, I'll be checking out your stuff!

Dawn Alexander said...

Testing the comments. I hear some people are having trouble getting in. Including Bianca!

Mindy said...

Hi Bianca :)
Wow, what HOT covers!
I read the excerpts on your blog, they ROCK!
Are there going to be any more fallen angel stories?

Mindy :)
Birdsooong@aol.com

Dawn Alexander said...

Teri and Mindy, for some reason Bianca cannot comment on the blog. We are trying to work it out, but she wanted me to thank you ladies for stopping by.