Pages

Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Spoiler Alert

Tell Me Your Story Tuesday

My oldest daughter, who is much older now than in the picture above, made a confession last week that forced me to reevaluate everything I thought I knew about this sweet child.

SHE READS THE END OF A BOOK FIRST.

I fear I have failed as a parent.

I blogged before about her reading obsession. She is almost never without a book. Takes two or three with her for any kind of overnight stay and, when we recently changed the sheets on her bed, I found she was sleeping with FOURTEEN (!) books every night. 

The child is by all definitions a reader.

But, she reads the end first! 

Shocked and confused by this admission, I took my argument to the best place for public opinion.
Facebook.

Me: Michelle just confessed that she reads the end of books first...I don't even know her anymore...

Male Childhood Friend #1: I do too! If I don't like the ending, why invest my life in the story? For me, reading fiction is an escape from reality. If I don't like the destination, I'd rather not buy the ticket!

         (WWHHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAATTTTTTTTTT?? Not by the ticket?

Isn't that what the whole reading experience is about?)

Fellow Mommy Friend: Funny! [Her daughter~same age as mine] reads the last book in a series...what's wrong with their generation?!?!? 

Male Childhood Friend #2: I've always read the end of books first... Agree with [MCF #1] on this one.

Me:  [MFC #1]while I have to admit on the surface your argument has substance...It's just wrong. wrong. Wrong. WRONG! 
 You, too,[MFC #2]. (I say this with love, of course!).



Is this some kind of widespread epidemic of which I have lived blissfully unaware? Do YOU read the end of a book first? Is there some kind of 12 step group I can get my daughter in before this gets out of hand?








5 comments:

Teri Anne Stanley said...

Dawn, I am so sorry you are going through this. I don't know what to say.
I'm afraid to go home and ask my children about their reading habits. I think I'll keep my head blissfully buried in the sand.

Unknown said...

I never read the end first! In fact, I have been known to cover the next page with my hand if something particularly gut-clenching is happening, just so I don't see any kind of spoilers!

Paul Anthony Shortt said...

I used to do this when I was a child. I'd get so afraid while reading that the main character was going to die that I'd peek at the end to check.

I grew out of it, though.

Dawn Alexander said...

Teri~ Thank you for your support and your understanding during this difficult time. Paul's response gives me hope that this might not be a permanent condition.

Paul~ That is exactly what she said! I want to know who is still alive at the end.

Lara~ I'm with you. I hate it when I accidentally read ahead.

Paul Anthony Shortt said...

Well hopefully she'll outgrow it, like I did!