Pages

Thursday, December 8, 2011

Labeling





















 I normally keep my writing world and my teaching world as separate as possible, but last night, they overlapped.

While searching for material to use for my upper level class to practice interpreting, I came across this video.  In it, Maggie Stiefvater discusses the danger of giving labels.

I deal with labeled people everyday. I have seen exactly what she is talking about in action.

All of these labels come with connotations, preconceived images and pressure.

This was a rough week for me as a teacher. In large part to these kind of labels.

So, I am sharing this with you today. Think about your labels. Think about those you give others. Think about us teachers, trying to manage a classroom full of people with the signs above hanging over their heads.


No comments: