Pages

Thursday, December 29, 2011

Five simple goals

Thinking about Thursday

Technically, it's the end of another year. As a teacher, I tend to measure years from August to July, rather January to December, but that's just me.

Last year, I came up with three basic goals for the year:

1. Find a critique group/ partner.
    I have to let someone with objectivity read my work. It is just time. (Achieved. I have two AWESOME, WONDERFUL, FABULOUS, critique partners. Teri Anne Stanley and Genevieve Wilson. Thank you both for all your support this year.)

2. Attend a writing conference.
    I am aiming for DFWCON in February.  (Achieved and it was great! You can check out the experience here. Cannot wait to go this year. Check out the website! http://dfwwritersconference.org/

3. Query.
    Even if it is just one email. Just to prove I can. (Um, yeah... Look how good I did on the other two!) 


This year, I am expanding to five goals:

1. Become RWA PRO. This will force me to meet left over goal #3 up there.


2. Attend more writing conferences.  I actually have THREE on the agenda for this year. First, Texas Two Step Conference (put on by my local RWA chapter) in late April You should really come join me! Then DFWCon in late May.  All building up to RWA in July! I cannot describe how excited and, maybe a tad bit terrified, I am about that.

3. Pitch to an agent. That is the one thing I did not take advantage of at DFWCon last year. I have to do this year. I mean, I am going to all these conferences. Surely, I can manage to sit down and make words come out of my mouth for 10 minutes, right? Give me a minute,  I'm feeling woozy.

4. Edit, edit, edit. I have several (and by several, I mean, more than three.) completed manuscripts begging to be edited and polished. My husband brought me pretty pens and clean flash drives for Christmas. All I need to do is hit print and start hacking. Yeah, it's that easy. (not).

5. Keep up this blog. The friends I have made through this blog in the past year have been amazing. Thank you for reading. Thank you for commenting and Thank you for being a part of my world.


I wish you all a successful 2012. 





Do you have goals for this year? How'd you do on the ones you set for last year?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I also admire people who write down goals, and then follow them. Good luck to you with yours! It's an impressive list. And congratulations on your past accomplishments.
Ann Best, Author of In the Mirror & Other Memoirs

Dawn Alexander said...

Thank you, Ann!

Genevieve Wilson said...

Great goals, but you forgot to put entering writing contests on your list. I'm glad you posted your goals. Now I know when to kick your butt, if need be. :)

Thanks for the shout out!