Pages

Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Remembering your first...

Tell Me Your Story Tuesday

  

What's the first book you really remember reading? 
Mine would have to be The Secret Garden

A teacher recommended it to me after seeing I was flying through The Fudge Series, Ramona and Choose Your Own Adventures. (Thank you, Mrs. Moore~ You are still one of my favorites!)

It was the first book I downloaded to my kindle. 

 I moved on to Judy Blume, S. E Hinton, and Robert Cormier.


 

 



and thousands of others. 

But The Secret Garden will always hold a special place in my heart.  There is just something magical about your first. 

So, tell me your story. What is the first real book you remember reading? What books will always have a place on your shelves or in your e-reader?


3 comments:

Tressa Green said...

In the fifth grade, I remember it so clearly; I'd gotten some money and had just really started to really read. I'd finished reading the Bunnicula stories with the vampire rabbit and the cat named Chester (whom I named my first cat later that year). I wanted to buy a book. Mom took me to the book store, Waldenbooks in the mall now long closed and showed me the YA section. And there I saw it.

Like most young girls, I was horse crazy. It didn't help that my aunt the next county over had lovely show Quarter horses. So when I saw The Horse and His boy, I bought it without second thought. I didn't know anything about Narnia or lions or witches. I saw only this story about, well, a horse and a boy about my age.

Of course, the story is so good, it led me to the rest of the Narnia books and those were like a gateway drug for me into the whole genre of fantasy. I couldn't get enough after that. It was all I read for many, many years after. :)

Dawn Alexander said...

I was a HUGE Bunnicula fan. I read three of the series. I haven't read The Horse and His Boy... or Narnia *hangs head in shame*.

Teri Anne Stanley said...

Well, the Ramona the Pest books were the first that I really loved...that Henry Huggins was really something...the jars full of guppies stand out.
And Charlotte's Web. I still cry every time that stupid spider dies.
I also loved the Alfred Hitchcock and the Three Investigators books. How obscure is that?