Pages

Thursday, February 16, 2012

Bad Computer Karma




Thinking about Thursday 
 My name is Dawn and I have bad computer karma. 

At my workplace, I am legendary for having crashed two hard drives in two years. Last spring, the tech guys for the district spent three weeks in my classroom because the network access crashed everyday between 10:30 and 11:00 am. No one could figure out why.

Last night, I set a new record by breaking three webcams and causing the
BLUE SCREEN OF DEATH
 to show up on my husband's computer.

The sad part is my wake of destruction isn't limited to hard drives. I have daily battles with the Smartboard and projector in my classroom. Microsoft Power Point hates me so much if I try to search for Clipart, it types one letter in the search box and one letter on the slide.  I have 23 students computers in my room that can all play any YouTube video available. If I try to access any videos on my "teacher laptop", I get a message saying
"An error has occurred. Try again later."

I am starting to get a complex.

This recent conversation with a student  didn't help.
Student (watching me fight with the project to make it play the slide show from my computer, and not play the DVD from the DVD player) :
 "You know, Miss, computers are going to take over the world one day."

Me (trying not to say all of the un-teacher-like words going through my head as I reboot) :
"So, I have heard."

Student: "Yeah, and when they do I am pretty sure you're one of the first humans they are going to kill, because they sure hate you."

AWESOME. Thanks for that!


So, how's your computer karma? I know everyone worries about a Zombie apocalypse. I am more worried about my husband's coffee maker attacking me because I killed its cousin, the webcam! 
 



2 comments:

Teri Anne Stanley said...

Oh, boy. I feel a little better about myself right now!

I've been through a few desktop computers at work, and I'm pretty sure it had more to do with loading quajooglebytes of data on the desktop at one time than with any time that I might spend on the internet (ahem).

I have found that I'm pretty good at walking around technology that doesn't suit me. And as a teacher, I have even been known to break out the chalk on occassion (the problem with that is that the last class I taught didn't have a blackboard!).

Dawn Alexander said...

My students would stare at chalk like cavemen probably did at a flame. Outside of art class, they have no idea of its usefulness. :)